• Users Online: 335
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2013  |  Volume : 38  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 80-83

Smac/DIABLO gene expression in acute myeloid leukemia patients


1 Department of Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Tanta, Egypt
2 Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Tanta, Egypt

Correspondence Address:
Maaly M. Mabrouk
MD, Department of Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, 31527 Tanta
Egypt
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.7123/01.EJH.0000428063.29317.e1

Rights and Permissions

Background

Smac/DIABLO enhances apoptosis by antagonizing the inhibitors of apoptotic proteins. The expression of Smac/DIABLO in different cancers has been reported. The study aimed to evaluate Smac/DIABLO gene expression in patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) and also to determine its relation to the clinical outcome and survival of these patients.

Materials and methods

Smac/DIABLO gene expression was studied using real-time PCR in bone marrow samples from 70 newly diagnosed AML patients.

Results

The Smac/DIABLO gene was expressed in 88.5% of AML patients. A total of 32 patients (51.6%) with positive Smac/DIABLO expression responded to treatment, and the remaining 30 patients (48.4%) were treatment resistant. Smac/DIABLO expression was associated with decreased lactate dehydrogenase levels and increased disease-free survival (P=0.01 and P<0.001, respectively). The expression was associated with an increase in the survival rate (P<0.05).

Conclusion

There was an increase of Smac/DIABLO expression in AML patients, and this was associated with the treatment response, increased disease-free survival, and better overall survival.



[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed733    
    Printed17    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded87    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal